1. He should go on a diet.
2. He ought to go on a diet.
3. He had better go on a diet. (This is a bit stronger than the first
1. I should be at work by 8am.
2. I have to be at work by 8am.
1. She should be arriving in New Zealand now.
2. She ought to be arriving in New Zealand now. (This isn't used much
1. He had better ring soon.
the best words to finish the sentence.
study harder. (suggestion) [had better
/ has to]
see her teacher. (suggestion) [should
/ has to] 2. She
pay five dollars.
(obligation) [has to / had better] 3. She
be the top of the class.(probably) [should
/ had better] 4. It
rain soon. (desperate hope)[should
/ had better] 5. We
finish the work today. (obligation) [have
to / ought to] 6. You
ring your boss. (suggestion) [ought
to / have to] 7. The economy
improve soon. (desparate hope) [had better
/ has to] 8. I
be at grandma's house at 6pm to help her cook dinner. (obligation)
[should / had better]