INTERMEDIATE - VOCABULARY
Use your dictionary to find some of the meanings.
ache with these words: head, stomach,
ear and back.
A clinic and a doctors' surgery are the same. They are small offices with a waiting room and a room for each doctor. The doctors there are General Practitioners. They check your general health. You might see them if you have a bad cold, or if you keep getting headaches. They sometimes perform small procedures like removing a wart. You never stay overnight in a clinic or a doctors' surgery.
have a broken leg, you don't usually go to a doctors' surgery or a clinic,
you go to a hospital. A hospital is a very large building with lots of
specialist doctors and lots of nurses. People can stay overnight or they
can come in for a day procedure. If there is an accident they might come
into the emergency ward.
2. She sprained it. What could she have sprained? (stomach / foot / head)
3. The doctor gave her an antibiotic. What has she got? (an infection / sunstroke / headache)
4. She has the hiccups. What should she do? (eat something / drink water / see her doctor immediately)
5. She lost a lot of blood. What does she need? (an anaesthetic / a sleeping pill / a transfusion)
has an allergy. What might he need?
(anti coagulant/ anti histamine / anti depressant)
8. Where would you go if you needed an operation for cancer? (clinic / hospital / doctors' surgery)
9. Which part of your body can you use before the word ache? (fingers / chest / back)
10. What effect will a tranquiliser have? (make you relax / stop bleeding / help a stomachache)
Go back to Intermediate.